Tuesday 9 October 2012

Yu-Foria - Frozen Yogurt!

So I thought I'd start off with where to get my favourite dessert.

When I studied at California State University, Fullerton a good few years ago, I was overwhelmed by the quantity of the coffee shops, restaurants and take-out places.

I found so many favourite spots. You have no idea.

This being one of them.


Frozen Yogurt. This turned into what I considered a healthy addiction. Most of my days studying in Fullerton consisted of sunny, boiling weather and this tasty little treat was the perfect companion for those after-class hangouts, rehearsal breaks and cravings for a sweet, delicious snack.

I've been back to California twice since I did my study term and have made it my utmost responsibility to get as much Yogurtland fix as possible.

The great thing about this place is that you, as the customer, use self-serving machines, so you can create your own personalised frozen yogurt. Strawberry Cheesecake, Pineapple, Red Velvet - they're always updating their flavours throughout the seasons - Pumpkin Pie around Halloween and Gingerbread around Christmas time were particular highlights. Pile in all the flavours you want, then add as many toppings as you so desire. Fruits, sweets, cereal, savoury snacks, sprinkles - they've got them all. Then you pay what you weigh.

I have a tendency to go a little overboard.


Since my return to the UK, I always wondered why this amazing dessert was never widely available in my home country. I've always put it down to our lack of hot weather throughout the year, meaning it would only really be a good sell during the Summer months.

I made it a mission to find an alternative that would satisfy the non-stop cravings I would get for Yogurtland. Until one random London trip, I discovered this place after obtaining a free toppings voucher through one of my iPhone apps.


Venturing into the lower section of the Plaza in Covent Garden, where you almost always see an Opera Singer or String Quartet busking outside this place, I finally found somewhere that gave me what I'd been missing. After getting a taster of 'Yu-Foria', I'd settled for what I had considered my very own London equivalent.

Unlike Yogurtland, Yu-Foria gives you three options as opposed to making your own. Original, Chocolate and a weekly special, which would vary from Mango, Blueberry, Coconut, Peanut Butter and many more choices. And of course, you can add some of the same toppings. I always add mangoes and strawberries, usually with a third nutritious fruit.

The setting of the place is gorgeous. Like an underground garden.


 My initial reaction.


And I've managed to convert some friends too.


And really, it's not just about the fact that I've found the best place in the UK to get my Frozen Yogurt fix. It holds a special place in my heart, as I've taken some of best friends to dine at Yu-Foria (many of them first-timers), but the main common circumstance being a new friend who I've met on the same day of an audition or a casting. Regardless of how we did, I would often say "Hey, do you fancy some frozen yogurt? I know an amazing place which does it!" And from then on, that line has been the start of some incredible friendships that I've established up here. All it took was a tub, a spoon, our favourite combinations and the swinging chairs in the back of the store to create the beginning of some pretty amazing people in my life.

There is nothing more special than taking the person who's just entered your circle into the bustle of Covent Garden, whilst I'm expressing my excitement of the amazing-ness of Frozen Yogurt, and exchanging stories and facts about each other lives as we take a spoonful of that joyful goodness.

For that reason, this has become one of my most frequent visits since moving up here. And by gosh, is their Yogurt good.
 

 So hey, if you fancy a date sometime, come join me, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment